Right round, like a record baby right round, round round...

This is part 2 of the previous article, so it you want to know what the title is all about, you'll need to read that post. Anyway let's got to the meat of this post...

Wargames Projects

I have a number of wargames projects and ideas that are currently on the go at the moment and in this post I want to talk about some of the current front runners.

Valhalla 

In 2013 I created a viking skirmish game that I called "The Valhalla Sagas", but six months before it's release Gripping Beast released "Saga", so despite the fact that I I'd named my game a couple of years before Saga came out it did cause some confusion and in the end Richard Clarke from Too Fat Lardies suggested that I simply call it "Valhalla".

I toured various wargames shows around the UK with it and won best participation game at six or seven shows that year, I didn't keep a record of them and have long since forgotten the details of which ones I won. Although as I got the following splendid trophy from the "Attack" Show in Devizes I do remember that one.




Valhalla was my first attempt at producing a game and to be honest there were a few holes in it and I feel I've learnt a lot about game design since then.

Having said that one of the biggest flaws was that it needed players to use a custom website that I designed to setup their warbands. Although the site was pretty intuitive it was still required too much work for the player and to be honest the work the players had to put in wasn't really rewarded  with a good enough game experience.

Valhalla 2.0

A couple of years ago I started work on a version two of of Valhalla. The new version had the following new features:
  • Pre-generated warrior stats that avoided the need for use of a computer.
  • Asymmetric narrative scenarios with clearly defined objectives.
  • Faction specific army lists.
Play testing went well, but I had decided that East Street Games would concentrate on publishing Board games for a while, so I just play it every now and again as a fun game for myself. 

Valhalla C

Earlier this year a fantasy miniatures company got in touch and expressed an interest in adapting Valhalla to fit with their world and miniature collection. They produce excellent miniatures and this is an opportunity that I'm very excited about. I'll keep you posted with the latest news about this project in future posts on this blog.

Other Wargames

I'm also working on the following games which are in various states:
  • WW2 - Skirmish Game
  • WW2 - 10mm Tank Game
  • Marlbarian Battle Game
  • Ancient Battle Game
  • Fantasy Battle Game

I'll talk more about each of these in future posts.

In the next post I'll talk about my bug bears with commercial rule sets.

Happy Gaming 

Paul





Comments